Saturday, June 17, 2017
- Dad’s Day 5K in Downtown– Race against your dad in this 1K, 3K or 5K that kicks off in Downtown and continues along Memorial Drive. Proceeds benefit prostate cancer awareness. Registration starts at $20. 7:30am.
- Juneteenth Parade at Texas Southern University| FREE – Bring the whole family out to TSU for live music, marching bands, and dance performances at this Juneteenth Parade. 10am to 11am.
- Beer for Breakfast Class at Central Market– Add a little beer to your breakfast routine at this cooking class where you’ll learn how to make lager battered apple fritters and pale ale marinated sweet potato hash while sipping on beermosas. $65. 10am to 12:30pm.
- Asian Heritage Cultural Discovery Workshop at Chinese Community Center– Learn the art of Chinese calligraphy, paper cutting, origami and tai-chi, and observe a tea ceremony demonstration at this four hour workshop at Chinese Community Center. $25. 10am to 2pm.
- Watson’s Pub Brew Fest– Watson’s House of Ales will host this festival with beers from more than 20 local breweries. $15. 10am to 4pm.
- Re-Dedication Celebration at Emancipation Park| FREE – Attend this re-dedication celebration event with live music, vendors, and other activities in the historic Third Ward. 10am to 5pm.
- Food Truck Festival in the Heights– More than 20 food trucks and 5 fashion trucks will gather on 20th street in the Heights for an afternoon of food, shopping, and music. 11am to 5pm.
- KPRC 2 Summer Blood Drive at Discovery Green| FREE – Give blood at this summer drive hosted by Channel 2 and benefiting the Gulf Coast Regional Blood Center. 2:30pm to 7pm.
- Paws for Wine at Sonoma Wine Bar & Restaurant– Support local stray animal organization SNAP at this wine, beer, and food tasting at Sonoma Wine Bar in The Heights. $50. 3pm to 6pm.
- World Refugee Day at Levy Park| FREE – Join the Houston Refugee Consortium in celebrating refugees in our community with music, performances, vendors, and food at this event that will raise awareness for and honor refugees. 4pm to 7pm.
- BBQ, Beer & Bingo at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center– Get competitive at bingo and nature-themed trivia for your chance to win a prize while you enjoy barbeque, Saint Arnold brews and Katz iced coffee at the Houston ARboretum. Tickets start at $20. 6pm to 8:30pm.
- Juneteenth Celebration Parade in Galveston| FREE – Celebrate Juneteenth at this evening parade that begins on the Historic Strand and proceeds to the McGuire-Dent Recreation Center. 7pm to 9pm.
- Houston Dash vs. Orlando Pride at BBVA Compass Stadium– Cheer on the Dash as they play Orlando in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $15. 7:30pm.
- Texas Music Festival at the UH Moores Opera House– Orchestra fellows from the University of Houston Moores School of Music will perform with conductor Andrés Franco and violinist Lucie Robert as part of the Texas Music Festival series. Entertainment and a lecture will precede the concert beginning at 6:30pm. Tickets start at $20. 7:30pm.
- Sugar Land Superstar Round 1 at Town Square| FREE – Watch some of the most talented singers in Sugar Land perform and see which five will make it to the Sugar Land Superstar finals in August. 7:30pm.
- Houston Symphony with the Suffers at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion– Head to The Woodlands to hear The Suffers perform alongside the Houston Symphony on the stage of The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Select seats are free. 8pm.
- Sgt Pepper’s at 50 with the Fab 40 at Discovery Green| FREE – The iconic Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band album turns 50 and you can celebrate with more than 40 local musicians at Discovery Green. 8pm.
- T.Screening at Main Street Square | FREE – Flock to Main Street Square for a free showing of the 1982 movie E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. 8pm.
- H-Town Get Down at Miller Outdoor Theatre| FREE – Watch as dance crews, DJs, and artists take the stage for this hip hop dance showcase. 8:30pm.
- AladdinImprov Show at CSz Arena – Crack up as you participate in this interactive improv show all about Aladdin from ComedySportz. $14; 10:30pm.
Father’s Day, Sunday, June 18, 2017
- Father’s Day Crawfish Sunday at Southern Star Brewery– Head out to Southern Star Brewery for their last Crawfish Sunday of the season to stuff your face with spicy mud bugs and ice cold beer. Noon to 6pm.
- Stand Up Paddleboarding Lessons at 288 Lakes– Cool off at this instructional event hosted by Bayou City Outdoors where you’ll learn how to paddleboard. Registration starts at $24. 2pm to 5pm.
- Father’s Day Pig Roast at Revival Market– Take your ol’ man out for a meal at Revival Market where they’ll be roasting and serving up a whole pig with sides, dessert, and beer. $25. 2pm to 6pm.
- Father’s Day Backyard Cookout at Brenner’s Steakhouse on the Bayou– Enjoy a steak with dad while David Caceres Band provides tunes at Brenner’s on the Bayou for this Father’s Day cookout. 3pm to 8pm.
- Father’s Day Highland Park Whiskey Tasting at Reserve 101– Sip on Highland Park 12 year, dark origins and limited edition Fire (15 year) and Ice (17 year) at this whiskey tasting at Reserve 101. $55. 5pm to 8pm.
- Chicago and The Doobie Brothers in Concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion– Rock out with Chicago and The Doobie Brothers at this outdoor concert in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $30. 7:30pm.
- Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull in Concert at Toyota Center– Move your body to music from Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull with opening act CNCO when their North American Tour comes through Houston for a show at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $59.95. 7:30pm.
Want some help planning Dad’s weekend out? Come see me at Goldwiser. Located at 24910 Kuykendahl Rd., Tomball, TX 77375 and open Monday through Saturday 10 am to 7 pm. Just ask for Gina!