I have no one to blame but myself. So, it makes me hyper-aware that if I (or anybody) need a last-minute patriotic “somethin’ somethin’” to serve or bring to a party, it has to be fast and furious to put together.
- Red, White, and Blue (Cheese) Sliders: Top mini burgers off the grill with creamy blue cheese and freshly sliced strawberries.
- American flag vegetable/fruit tray: Take a jelly-roll pan (the one with a lip) and line with cherry tomatoes, radishes, sliced cucumbers, cauliflower and sliced red peppers for the red and white stripes of the flag. You may have to improvise for the blue, but see if you can find a blue plastic Tupperware or other square dish. Fill with a great veggie dip. For a fruit tray, strawberries, cherries, raspberries, white cheese slices, yogurt-covered pretzels and blueberries work well.
- Blueberry Caprese salad: Add some juicy blueberries to a fresh Caprese salad of fresh basil, mozzarella balls, cherry tomatoes and a dash of vinaigrette
- Buy a white sheet cake and go to town on it with strawberries and blueberries on top to make a flag design. Cupcakes frosted in white can easily have blue or red sprinkles and tiny flags added to them.
- Truffles are easy to put together in a hurry. Natasha’s Kitchen (natashaskitchen.com) has some great recipes truffles. Yummy!