Kick off the Texans’ preseason, see a theatrical performance, get your hands dirty helping to beautify Buffalo Bayou Park, see the ‘Stros play, rock out at a concert, dress up and watch the latest Game of Thrones episode with a room full of fans and more.
Saturday, August 19, 2017
- Volunteer Workday at Buffalo Bayou Park | FREE –Get your hands dirty and volunteer your time to help beautify Buffalo Bayou Park. Bring your own gloves and some water. 8:30am to 11:30am.
- Opera in the Heights Open House at Lambert Hall| FREE – All ages are welcome to stop in for a morning of brief live performances, free breakfast bites and popcorn, costume dress-up, giveaways, face painting, and more at Opera in the Heights’ first ever open house event at Lambert Hall on Heights Boulevard. 9am to 11:30am.
- Free Kids Fest at Town Center Park | FREE – Head to Kingwood for a full day of family-friendly fun with carnival games, activities for the kids, performances and more. 10am to 6pm.
- Back to School Block Party at Tidwell Park | FREE – Join Vice Mayor Pro-Tem Jerry Davis for a back to school party for the whole family with free health screenings, immunizations, a backpack giveaway, an appearance from DJ Mr. Rogers, and food from McDonald’s at Tidwell Park. 11am to 2pm.
- Sushi & Sake 101 at RA Sushi Bar – Learn how to roll your own sushi, enjoy sake flight pairings, nosh on edamame and miso soup and more at this introductory course to sushi and sake at RA Sushi. Tickets start at $35. Noon.
- The Houston Food Fest at Hermann Square –Head Downtown to sample food from more than 50 local vendors and jam to live music from acts like Soul Creatures and Ruben Moreno & Zydeco Re-evolution at The Houston Food Fest. Tickets start at $5. Noon to 10pm.
- 1 Year Anniversary at Eureka Heights Brew Co. – Wish Eureka Heights a happy birthday while celebrating with ice cream, music, a piñata, the release of their latest beer Nuke the Whales and more. Sip on new 1pm to 9pm.
- Twilight Tour Along Buffalo Bayou – Climb aboard for this 30-minute boat ride along Buffalo Bayou just before the sun sets. $7. 6pm to 8:30pm.
- Foreigner in Concert at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Rock out with Foreigner when they perform with Cheap Trick and Jason Bonham’s Led Zeppelin Experience in The Woodlands on their 40th Anniversary Tour. Tickets start at $29.50. 7pm.
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots at NRG Stadium – The Texans will play their first home preseason game against the champs of Super Bowl LI, Tom Brady and the New England Patriots at NRG. Tickets start at $33. 7pm.
- Ed Sheeran in Concert at Toyota Center – Act fast to get your ticket to see Grammy Award-winning artist Ed Sheeran perform songs like “Shape of You” and “Castle on the Hill” from his latest album Divide at Toyota Center. James Blunt will open. This show is sold out, but you may find limited seats on Ticket Network’s resale site. 7:30pm.
- Sweet Charity at EaDo Playhouse –Be transported to New York in the 1960s comedy from Neil Simon about a hostess looking for love. $25. 8pm.
- Certified Funny Saturdays at Grooves of Houston – Comedian Lil Darrel, otherwise known as Dope Nizzy, is celebrating his 30th birthday with a hilarious show at Grooves of Houston. $20. 8pm.
- Betty Who in Concert at White Oak Music Hall –See Betty Who perform live with opening acts Geographer and Jackson Harris at White Oak Music Hall. Tickets start at $20. 8pm.
- GhostbustersMovie Screening at Main Street Square | FREE – “Who you gonna call” to join you for this free screening of the 1984 classic Ghostbusters, starring Bill Murray, at Main Street Square. 8pm.
- Incredible India: Unity in Diversity at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – See the music, dance, rhythm, and costumes of India come to life on stage with this special performance under the stars. 8:15pm.
- The Late Show at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar – Go back to the 1920s when the Moonlight Dolls take the stage at Prohibition Supperclub & Bar for this tastefully suggestive performance. $40. 11:30pm.
Sunday, August 20, 2017
- Weddings and Quinceañeras Expo Show at George R. Brown Convention Center– Find everything you need for your wedding or your daughter’s quinceañera at this expo featuring vendors and a chance to win a party. $9.50. Noon to 6pm.
- Heights Bike Trail Brewery Tour– Pedal along the Heights Bike Trail and visit Eureka Heights, Holler, and Platypus Breweries in any order for this brewery tour. Sample specially hopped brews and receive stamps that can be redeemed for a Heights brewery branded water bottle. There’s no purchase necessary for a stamp, but let’s face it, after biking all afternoon, a cold beer wouldn’t hurt. Noon to 8pm.
- Beer & Cheese Pairing at Whole Foods – Bring a girlfriend to the Whole Foods on Kirby for this women only foodie event featuring five beer and cheese pairings. $20. 1pm to 3pm.
- Godspellat A.D. Players – See the musical hit based on the Gospel of Matthew with a dash of ‘70s music at A.D. Players Theater. Tickets start at $24. 2:30pm.
- The Man in the Locketat Theatre Suburbia – Catch the world premiere of Local playwright Kris Thompson’s show The Man in the Locket at Theatre Suburbia. $16. 3pm.
- Game of Thrones Watch Party at Guava Lamp – Come dressed as your favorite character and watch the latest episode of GoT with other fans at Guava Lamp. 7pm to 9pm.