Whether you’re looking to get out of the house to spend time with or away from your family, these events should get you through this holiday weekend.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Wednesday, November 22 to Sunday, November 26, 2017.
Things to Do All Thanksgiving Weekend
• Hello Trees! at Discovery Green | Daily | FREE –Stroll through Discovery Green’s temporary art installation Hello Trees! and watch/listen as your voice message is transformed into light and music.
• Zoo Lights at Houston Zoo | Daily – Explore the Houston Zoo at night while millions of lights illuminate the various exhibits in this annual tradition. Tickets start at $11.95. Wednesday and Thursday 6pm to 10pm; Friday to Sunday 6pm to 11pm.
• On Your Feet! at the Hobby Center | Daily – The musical biography of Gloria and Emilio Estefan is packed with some of the most iconic songs from the last 25 years. This story of immigration, triumph, and tragedy is playing at the Hobby Center. Tickets start at $35, but you may. Wednesday and Thursday 7:30pm; Friday and Saturday 8pm; Sunday 7:30pm.
• The ICE at Discovery Green | Daily | FREE – Lace up your skates and take to The Ice rink at Discovery Green to show off your moves. $14 to rent skates. Thursday 5pm to 10pm; Friday 5pm to 11pm; Saturday 11am to 11pm; Sunday 11am to 8pm.
• Parks Around Houston | Daily – Visit parks in and around Houston for some fresh air, outdoor picnics, games of frisbee and more with family and friends.
• Thanksgiving Events & Celebrations Around Houston | Wednesday and Thanksgiving Day, Thursday – Whether you’re spending time with family, or trying to get out of the house for a breath of fresh air, these Thanksgiving events will help you out.
• HUE Mural Festival | Wednesday to Saturday – Houston First presents the 3rd annual Houston Urban Experience (HUE) Mural Festival, celebrating Houston’s diverse arts community. Artists from around the world will have approximately 190 hours to create their designs using various forms of tools, techniques, and styles of mural art including graffiti, muralism, paintbrush work, airbrush, roller brush, wheat paste, and stencil. 11am to 6pm each day. Guided tours are available for $30.
• Christmas Wonderland Holiday Spectacular at The Grand in Galveston | Friday and Saturday – Get into the holiday spirit at one of three shows of the dazzling Christmas Wonderland show, featuring holiday music, high kicking dancers, and Santa himself at The Grand in Galveston. Tickets start at $25.
• A Snow White Christmas at Theatre Suburbia | Friday and Saturday – The story of Snow White gets a refresh from Theatre Suburbia as it’s remade into a British Panto with a comedic holiday twist. $16. 8:30pm both nights.
• Thanksgiving Weekend at Bayou Bend | Friday to Sunday – Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens has finally reopened after Harvey and will have special hours and discounts over Thanksgiving weekend for all. $10.
• Flea at Silver Street: Black Friday Weekend | Friday to Sunday – Shop for one-of-a-kind vintage goods, home decor, and artwork at the Black Friday Weekend edition of the Flea at Silver Street. $5. 10am to 6pm daily.
• Texas Renaissance Festival in Todd Mission | Friday to Sunday – Calling all lords and ladies to the far north for the Texas Renaissance Festival. Enter the village gates for shopping, entertainment, wine tasting, and a feast fit for a King. This weekend’s theme is Celtic Christmas. Tickets start at $15. 9am to 8pm daily.
Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, November 23, 2017
• Thanksgiving Day Brunches & Dinners Around Houston – Stuff your face with all your Thanksgiving favorites and get out of doing the dishes by going out to restaurants around Houston for brunch, lunch, and dinner. Times, prices, and locations vary.
• TXU Energy Baker Ripley Turkey Trot at The Plaza on Richmond – Run in the 25th Annual Turkey Trot benefitting BakerRipley before you stuff your face with turkey and pie. Registration starts at $15. 7am.
• The 2017 Pearland Turkey Trot at Pearland Stadium – Start Thanksgiving off on the right foot in this 1-mile, 4-mile or 6-mile run or the kids Tot Trot. Registration starts at $15. 7:30am to 11am.
• L3 Turkey Day 5K & Wishbone 1K in Kingwood – Run to raise money to end pediatric cancer at the L3 Foundation’s 3rd Annual Turkey Day 5K and Wishbone 1K at Kingwood’s Town Center Park. Registration starts at $15. 8am.
• 68th Annual Houston Thanksgiving Parade in Downtown | FREE – Stake out a spot along the parade route and watch as high-flying balloons and holiday floats make their way through the streets of Downtown in the Annual Thanksgiving Day Parade. 9am.
• Thanksgiving Brunch at Américas – Join the Corduas for Thanksgiving with traditional favorites and classic Latin dishes at Américas restaurant in River Oaks. 10am to 3pm.
• Thanksgiving Brunch at Hotel Galvez – Make reservations to spend Thanksgiving morning or afternoon at Hotel Galvez in Galveston brunching on their holiday menu. Reservations required. 10:30am to 6:30pm.
• Thanksgiving at Brennan’s of Houston – Spice up your Thanksgiving with Texas-Creole flavors from Brennan’s of Houston this Thanksgiving. $60. 11am to 7pm.
• Thanksgiving Dinner at La Table – Gather around with your loved ones at La Table for a family style dinner at the French restaurant. 11:30am to 8pm.
• Thanksgiving Public Skate at The Ice at The Galleria – Bring the whole family to The Ice at the Galleria to work off that turkey coma at this public skate. $19. 5:30pm to midnight.
• Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley at Main Street Theater – Start your holiday festivities off early with this production from Main Street Theater. Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley is the sequel to Jane Austen’s novel Pride and Prejudice and follows the family’s gathering for Christmas. Tickets start at $42. 7:30pm.
Black Friday, November 24, 2017
• University of Houston Cougars vs. Navy at TDECU Stadium – Watch as the Cougars battle it out against Navy at TDECU. Tickets start at $24. 11am.
• Rice Owls vs. North Texas Mean Green at Rice Stadium – Get loud in the stands when Rice takes the field to play UNT in this home football game at Rice Stadium. Tickets start at $19. Noon.
• Blue October in Concert at Revention Music Center – Originally from Houston, the alternative rock band Blue October takes the stage at Revention Music Center for their I Want It Tour. Tickets start at $35. 7pm.
• Critical Mass Bike Ride at Market Square Park | FREE – Bike through Downtown Houston during this monthly community ride with Critical Mass. 7pm.
• Brewmasters Craft Beer Festival: Nach-Yo Ordinary Tequila Tasting at Moody Gardens – Pile your plate high with top-it-yourself nachos and sip on a variety of tequilas at this tasting event as part of the BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival. Tickets start at $30. 7pm to 10pm.
• BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival: Friday Night Pub Crawl in Galveston – Kick off the BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival with a pub crawl through Galveston via party bus. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
• 25th Anniversary Party at Firehouse Saloon – Grab your boots and cowboy hat and celebrate Firehouse Saloon’s 25th anniversary with a concert from Houston’s own Powell Brothers. Tickets start at $15. 9pm.
Saturday, November 25, 2017
• Shop Small Saturday at Sugar Land Town Square – Support local shops and restaurants as part of the Shop Small Saturday event at Sugar Land Town Square with holiday characters including Santa & Mrs. Claus, Frosty, The Nutcracker Toy Soldier. Carolers will perform from 10am to 5pm. 9am to 9pm.
• Yoga, Beer, Watercolors at 8th Wonder Brewery – De-stress after a week of too much family time with a 50-minute yoga class followed by a watercolor painting session and accompanied by 8th Wonder brews. 10am to noon.
• Unicorn Day at Children’s Museum of Houston – Sparkle at the Children’s Museum with unicorn-themed arts and crafts. Included with museum admission. 11am.
• BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival: Texas Brewery Tasting Tour at Moody Gardens – Sip on craft brews that were created right here in the great state of Texas in this small-group event as part of the BrewMasters Craft Beer Festival. Tickets start at $25. 11:30am to 12:45pm.
• Local Love Fest 2017 at FM Kitchen and Bar – Show your love for local vendors and artists at the Local Love Fest featuring live music, food trucks, and more than 50 vendors. $5. Noon to 10pm.
• Holiday Tree Lighting at Hendley Green – Galveston’s Hendley Green hosts their Holiday Tree Lighting, a festive family-friendly day featuring a visit from Santa, games, and craft beer. 2pm to 7pm.
• Brewmasters Craft Beer Festival: BrewHaHa Grand Tasting at Moody Gardens – Get a punch card good for 24 1oz samples and make your way around Moody Gardens’ Floral Room tasting beers from around the world and hearing from industry experts. Tickets start at $15. 3pm to 6:30pm.
• Peppa Pig Live! at Revention Music Center – Peppa Pig, George, and their friends will come to life in this new live stage show, Peppa Pig’s Surprise at the Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $29. 5pm.
• Jingle & Mingle on The Square at Memorial City | FREE – Get in the holiday spirit by listening and dancing to live music at Jingle & Mingle with giant reindeer and a special snowfall. 6pm.
• Houston Rockets vs. New York Knicks at Toyota Center – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Knicks at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $20. 7pm.
• Wade Bowen in Concert at House of Blues – Sing along to Texas Country tunes like “Songs About Trucks” and “Who I Am” when Waco-born singer Wade Bowen performs at House of Blues. Tickets start at $20. 7pm.
• ComedySportz Match Improv Show at CSz Arena – Crack up as you participate in this interactive improv show from ComedySportz. $20. 8pm.
• White Lightning Dancehall and Saloon Grand Opening – Celebrate the grand opening of the White Lightning Dancehall and Saloon, a venue with a Texas-sized dancefloor, 3 main bars and a Vegas twist in Humble. Enjoy performances from Grammy award winner Cody Canada & The Departed, Jon Stork and comedy from YouTube celebrities Catfish Cooley & Tommy Gun. Door prizes will be given away every 30 minutes and a grand prize will be given away at midnight. Tickets are $15 for regular admission and $30 for a VIP ticket. 8pm.
• Ozuna in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Puerto Rican reggaeton and Latin trap recording artist Ozuna come to town to perform at the Smart Financial Centre at Sugar Land. Tickets start at $65.50. 8pm.
• Certified Funny Saturdays Comedy Show at Grooves of Houston – Hosted by local stand-up star Lil Darrel, this laugh-out-loud comedy show stars comedian Tyler Craig and features sets by Piper the Comedian and Derrick Cakely. Tickets start at $22. 8pm.
• Game of Thrones Party at Avant Garden – Explore the seven kingdoms as Avant Garden transforms into an immersive Game of Thrones-themed party complete with a costume contest, sword fighting, live music, a photo booth, and raffle. 8pm.
• Star Wars Unscripted Improv Show at CSz Arena – Take an adults-only look at a fresh reenactment of the original 1977 film, with character modifications, plot beats, and other variations suggested by the audience. $14. 10:30pm.
Sunday, November 26, 2017
• Brewmasters Craft Beer Festival: Brew-B-Que at Moody Gardens – Presented by Stubb’s Bar-B-Que, Brew-B-Que brings together Texas-style foods and tunes that will get you on your feet, paired with beer, of course. Tickets start at $23. 11am to 3pm.
• Sunday Art Market at Saint Arnold Brewing Co. | No Cover – Get a jump start on your holiday shopping at the Sunday version of the First Saturday Arts Market at Saint Arnold’s Brewery. The market will showcase paintings, sculpture, photography, jewelry and handcrafted items and will also feature a food truck outside and live music from Grifters & Shills. 11am to 4pm.
• Photos with Santa at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Bring the kids to Sugar Land Town Square and take a free holiday photo with Santa and Mrs. Claus. Guests can also bring new, unwrapped toys to donate to the Fort Bend Rainbow Room’s Christmas Project. 1pm to 5pm.
• WAKE Presents: Zines y Más at Galveston Arts Center – Galveston-based collective behind the music and arts publication Wake the Zine presents Zines y Más at the Galveston Arts Center with local zine makers in a small pop-up market. 1pm to 5pm.
• A Midnight Clear: A Musical Tale of Christmas at Stages Repertory Theatre – A Midnight Clear sheds light on all the ways Christmas touches each of us, performed by Stages Repertory Theatre. Tickets start at $25. 2:30pm.
• The Rhinoceros at The MATCH | Daily – The Catastrophic Theatre will perform their take on the anti-fascist play The Rhinoceros at The MATCH. Tickets start at $10. 2:30pm.
• Houston Skating Stars at Discovery Green – Watch as some of Houston’s top figure skaters take to the ice rink at Discovery Green to perform demonstrations. 6:30pm.
• Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer in Concert at The Heights Theater –Spend an evening with Americana duo Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $28. 7pm.