Hang out at the zoo after dark, cheer on former NBA stars in a three-on-three tournament, race through an obstacle course full of mud, jam out to Kesha and Macklemore in concert and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, June 22 to Sunday, June 24, 2018.
Things to Do All Weekend
· Dave Chappelle & Jon Stewart at Smart Financial Centre | Thursday and Friday – Don’t miss a hilarious show featuring two of the biggest names in comedy, Jon Stewart and Dave Chappelle, at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $69.75. 7pm.
· Museum of Dysfunction at Chelsea Market | Thursday and Saturday – Enjoy 20 unique theatrical works from women writers across the country at this annual festival. Presented by Mildred’s Umbrella, the Museum of Dysfunction reflects the company’s desire to promote the work of women in the performing arts. 8pm.
· David, the Best Slinger in the West at A.D. Players | Thursday to Saturday – Take a seat for David, the Best Slinger in the West, which tells the Biblical story of David and Goliath with a Western twist, presented by A.D. Players. Tickets are $20. 10:30am daily.
· Caught at Redbud Gallery | Thursday to Saturday – Explore the concepts of truth and cultural appropriation as Landing Theatre Company presents Caught, a compelling story of art and social justice, at Redbud Gallery. Tickets start at $25. 8pm nightly.
· Houston Astros vs. Kansas City Royals at Minute Maid Park | Friday to Sunday –Get loud for the Astros when they take the field to play the Royals in a home game at Minute Maid Park. Tickets start at $21. Times vary.
· ExxonMobil Summer Symphony Nights at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE | Friday and Saturday – Catch a free, family-friendly concert at Miller Outdoor Theatre when ExxonMobil kicks off its Summer Symphony Nights series, which features a variety of up-and-coming artists. 8:30pm nightly.
· Holmes and Watson at the Alley Theatre | Friday and Saturday – Crack codes and solve mysteries during this Sherlock Holmes adventure presented by the Alley Theatre. The performance follows Holmes’ trusty sidekick, Watson, as he seeks the true story of Holmes’ death three years prior. Tickets start at $26. 8pm nightly.
· Swan Lake at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts | Saturday and Sunday – Take a seat for the Houston Ballet’s rendition of a timeless love story as they perform Swan Lake at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $25. Saturday 7:30pm; Sunday 2pm.
Friday, June 22, 2018
· Fourth Friday Night Market in the East End | No Cover – Browse this monthly market featuring works from dozens of visual artists and craft vendors from around Houston. Located in the Historic East End, the market showcases paintings, sculpture, photography, jewelry, and handcrafted items. 6pm.
· Big3 at Toyota Center – Don’t let the end of the professional basketball season get you down—NBA stars Cuttino Mobley, Chauncey Billups, and Metta World Peace are heading to Houston for this annual three-on-three basketball league with hometown hero Clyde Drexler as commissioner. Tickets start at $25. 6:30pm.
· Pint Glass Etching Art Class at Pop Shop America Energy Corridor – Etch your initials, favorite logo, or customized design onto a pint glass at this BYOB workshop from Pop Shop America Energy Corridor. $35. 7pm to 9:30pm.
· Mixers and Elixirs at Houston Museum of Natural Science – Mix it up at a special summer cocktail party amidst the dinosaurs, with live music, food trucks, cash bars, and intelligent nighlife with a twist. $25 7pm to 10pm.
· Houston Dash vs. Portland Thorns FC at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Portland Thorns FC in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. As an official event of Pride Weekend 2018, the game will feature the Pride SuperStar winner singing the national anthem, live music, and a special pre-game ceremony. Tickets start at $19. 7:30pm.
· Dancing with the Stars at Sugar Land Town Square – Lace up your dancing shoes for a free ballroom dance class led by instructors from Fred Astaire Dance Studios in Sugar Land Town Square. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
· A Night of Dance featuring Texas Music Festival Orchestra at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion | FREE – Sit back and enjoy a free concert from the students of the Texas Music Festival Orchestra at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Founded in 1990, The Immanuel and Helen Olshan Texas Music Festival offers young professional musicians the opportunity to develop skills in orchestral, chamber music, and solo performance. 8pm.
· The Prince Experience at House of Blues – Catch the ultimate Prince tribute show, which channels the former artist with choreographed dances, props, costumes, and strikingly accurate performances. $16. 8pm.
· ComedySportz Match Family-Friendly Improv Show at CSz Arena – Laugh it up at the all ages Whose Line Is It Anyway?-inspired improv show, where two teams go head to head and act out ridiculous audience suggestions. 20. 8pm.
· Midnight Madness: But I’m A Cheerleader at River Oaks Theatre – Grab some popcorn and watch a midnight screening of But I’m A Cheerleader, a colorful comedy starring Natasha Lyonne, at River Oaks Theatre. $11. 11:55pm.
Saturday, June 23, 2018
· NCC Mud Run in Humble – Run, jump, and dive through tons of gooey mud in a multi-obstacle course at New Covenant Church in Humble. With 1K, 2.5K, and 5K options, the NCC Mud Run welcomes runners of all skill levels. $40. 8am to noon.
· Pinkalicious The Musical at Main Street Theater –Teach your kids the importance of being themselves at a live performance of Pinkalicious, a delightful musical based on the popular book by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann. Tickets start at $20. 11am.
· South Texas Backyard Grilling Class at Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen – Learn how to prepare your favorite Mexican dishes from Chef-owner Sylvia Casares of Sylvia’s Enchilada Kitchen. Recipes include beef fajitas, homestyle potato salad, flour tortillas, salsa, Mexican-style grilled corn, rice, and beans. $65. 1pm to 4pm.
· Japanese Whisky 101 at Public Services Wine & Whisky – Get to know the ins and outs of Japanese Whisky when Public Services Wine & Whisky hosts an educational class focused on two specific blends, Suntory and Nikka. $65. 2pm.
· Heights Summer Block Party | No Cover – Spend Saturday afternoon biking around to your favorite neighborhood bars at the third annual Heights Summer Block Party. Johnny’s Gold Brick, Big Star, and Presidio will offer drink specials throughout the day. 2pm to 8pm.
· Summer Family Campout at Sugar Land Town Square – Explore an interactive campsite featuring tents, games, s’mores, and lawn fishing at Sugar Land Town Square’s Summer Family Campout. Families can also learn how to cast a fishing pole, or hop on a kayak or hybrid paddleboard. 5pm to 8pm.
· BBQ, Beer & Bingo at Houston Arboretum & Nature Center – Game it up with barbecue and beer when the Houston Arboretum & Nature Center hosts five rounds of bingo and nature-themed trivia for a fun-filled Saturday evening. Tickets start at $20. 6pm to 8:30pm.
· Kesha and Macklemore in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Catch an explosive concert by pop star Kesha and rapper Macklemore when they team up to bring “The Adventures of Kesha and Macklemore Tour” to the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $30.50. 7pm.
· Diana Krall in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Take a seat for a show from Canadian jazz pianist and singer Diana Krall at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $59.50. 8pm.
· Slim Thug in Concert at BFE Rock Club – Jam out to rap music from Houston native Slim Thug and DJ Massiv when they take the stage at BFE Rock Club in Cy-Fair. $30. 8pm.
· The John Sellers Band with Mike Deasy in Concert at Fitzgerald’s – Head to Fitzgerald’s in the Heights for a lively concert by The John Sellers Band following the release of their debut album, Love Burns Like a Fire. Joining them is legendary guitarist Mike Deasy, who made a name for himself during the ‘60s and ‘70s in LA. Tickets start at $10. 8pm.
· Despicable Me 3 Movie Screening at Discovery Green | FREE – Bring the family to Discovery Green for a free, outdoor screening of Despicable Me 3. Arrive early for a contest and fun activities. 8:30pm to 10pm.
Sunday, June 24, 2018
· Blue Field Market at Sports Creek | No Cover – Shop a selection of local produce, gourmet food, and artwork, all while listening to live music, relaxing with free yoga, playing yard games, and sipping mimosas at the Blue Field Market. 10am to 3pm.
· Free Play Sundays & All Day Happy Hour at Conservatory | No Cover – Get your game on for free while enjoying Conservatory’s all-day happy hour, which features more than 60 types of draft beer, wine, and select whiskeys. 11am to 2pm.
· Tejano Nights at Kemah Boardwalk | FREE – Sit back and enjoy a lineup of live Tejano music every Sunday this June at the Kemah Boardwalk. Performers include Carlos Maldonado y Grupo Fuerte, Siempre Selena Tribute, and DJs. 6pm.
· Brit Floyd in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Catch the Pink Floyd tribute band perform songs from Pink Floyd’s beloved albums, The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and The Wall in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $39.50. 8pm.
· Beauty and the Beast Movie Screening at Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier | FREE – Be their guest on Sunday evening at a free, outdoor screening of Disney’s Beauty and the Beast under the stars. 8pm.