Find the perfect things to do in Houston this weekend with our Houston Weekend Guide for Friday, August 17 to Sunday, August 19, 2018.
Learn how to prepare delicious Parisian macarons, grab a drink at a new bar in the Heights, cheer on the Texans in a preseason game, design and create your own soy-wax candle, hear an internationally acclaimed acapella group and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, August 17 to Sunday, August 19, 2018.
Things to Do All Weekend
· The Mystical Arts of Tibet at Asia Society Texas Center | Daily – Admire the work of Tibetan Buddhist monks as they construct a mandala sand painting and perform a slew of special rituals throughout the weekend at Asia Society Texas Center. $5. Thursday and Friday 11am to 6pm; Saturday and Sunday 10am to 6pm.
· The Mousetrap at the Alley Theatre | Daily – Take a seat for one of the longest-running shows in the world, Agatha Christie’s thrilling mystery, The Mousetrap. In the beloved British play, a group of visitors takes shelter from a snowstorm in a boarding house, only to find that one of their new companions is a murderer. Tickets start at $26. Showtimes vary.
· Deli Month at Kenny & Ziggy’s New York Delicatessen Restaurant | Daily – Chow down on a three-course menu of items like stuffed kishka, matzo ball soup, and Hungarian goulash when both locations of Kenny & Ziggy’s participate in the nationwide fundraiser, Deli Month. Proceeds benefit the Holocaust Museum Houston. $37.
· Feeling Groovy 4 at Music Box Theater | Friday and Saturday – Groove on down to your favorite tunes from the ‘60s and ‘70s when Music Box Theater presents Feeling Groovy 4, an all-new musical featuring songs by Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Glen Campbell, Diana Ross, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, and Barbra Streisand. Tickets start at $29. 7:30pm.
· Evening Chill at Houston Zoo | Friday and Saturday – Scope out your favorite animals without melting from the summer heat when the Houston Zoo extends its hours for the Evening Chill. Zoo-goers can also enjoy live music and family-friendly activities after sundown. Tickets start at $11. 5pm to 8pm.
· 44th Annual Vintage Glass & Antique Show & Sale | Friday to Sunday – Browse a market and showcase presented by the Houston Glass Club and featuring 30 of the nation’s leading vintage glass dealers and collectors; all specializing in high quality, prized vintage, and antique glass. Admission to the show is $10 at the door on Friday; $6 on Saturday and Sunday. Times vary.
· Houston Astros Children’s Activities at Children’s Museum of Houston | Saturday and Sunday – Show your support for the World Series Champions when the Children’s Museum of Houston hosts Houston Astros Children’s Activities. Throughout the month of August, you can save $2 on tickets by bringing your Houston Astros game ticket stub from any game in July or August. Those who wear any Astros related stuff will also receive $2 off admission, now through August 31, 2018. Saturday 10am to 6pm and Sunday noon to 6pm.
· Love & Makes Candle-Making Workshop in Rice Village | Saturday and Sunday – Design and create a personalized wax candle with help from the team at Love & Makes in Rice Village. The BYOB workshop also features handmade goods from local artisans to shop while your candles set. Times vary daily.
· Big Bambú: This Thing Called Life at MFAH | Saturday and Sunday – Duck and dodge your way through a massive tangle of bamboo poles when Big Bambú: This Thing Called Life returns to the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston for its fifth consecutive summer season. $18.
Friday, August 17, 2018
· Listen Local: Music on the Plaza with DJ Gracie Chavez & Batala Houston at The Brown Foundation Plaza | FREE – Get down to groovy tunes from DJ Gracie Chavez & Batala Houston when they perform as part of MFAH’s summer music series, Listen Local: Music on the Plaza. You can nosh on food from Popston and Spicy Dog and check out the museum’s newest green space, The Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza. 5pm to 8pm.
· 2nd Annual Summer Music Festival at Four Seasons Hotel | No Cover – Live it up on the Four Seasons’ pool deck while listening to live music, playing poolside games, and sipping $5 beers at the 2nd Annual Summer Music Festival. 7pm.
· Houston Dash vs. Washington Spirit at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Washington Spirit in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
· Lyrics & Lawn Games in Sugar Land Town Square | No Cover – Play lawn games while listening to live country music and sipping $5 wine and beer at Sugar Land Town Square’s backyard party. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
· Ring of Fire at Stages Repertory Theatre – Walk the line to Stages Repertory Theatre for Ring of Fire, a biographical performance about Johnny Cash that features all of his top hits. $25. 8pm.
· Ladysmith Black Mambazo in Concert at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Hear mesmerizing harmonies from the Grammy Award-winning and internationally acclaimed acapella group, Ladysmith Black Mambazo, when they make they perform live at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8:15pm.
· The Vibe Fridays: ‘90s Throwback Edition at Henke & Pillot | No Cover – Get your drink on and celebrate all things ’90s as KidVicious spins throwback hits, go-go dancers keep the beat, and Effen Vodka bottles go for $150. There will be chances to win Astros tickets. Ages 21 and up. 9pm to 2am.
Saturday, August 18, 2018
· Hatha Yoga at Discovery Green | No Cover – Find your center, increase mindfulness, stretch out tight muscles, and strengthen your body during a free Hatha Yoga class in Discovery Green. 9am to 10am.
· 2nd Annual Lambert Hall Open House at Opera in the Heights | FREE – Get a firsthand look at what goes on behind the scenes when Opera in the Heights hosts its 2nd Annual Lambert Hall Open House. Visitors of all ages can expect giveaways, popcorn, face-painting, a social media contest, an opera costume dress-up station and photo op, ticket discounts and more. 9am 11:30am.
· Free Market Square in 3rd Ward | No Cover – Shop a variety of local vendors, enjoy live music, and take a free yoga class at this monthly market in the heart of 3rd Ward. 10am to 4pm.
· Houston Center for Photography Workshop at Levy Park | FREE – Learn the basics of photography every first and third Saturday of the month at Levy Park. In this workshop, participants will focus on black and white photography. 9am to 10:30am.
· Houston Food Fest at Hermann Square Park – Feast on tasty bites from more than 70 local food trucks and restaurants at the annual Houston Food Fest in Hermann Square Park. While chowing down, you can listen to live music and play interactive games with your hungry companions. Tickets start at $5. Noon to 10pm.
· Run from The Sun 5K at the UTHealth Recreation Center – Run an evening 5K to support the fight against skin cancer when the UT Houston’s Dermatology Interest Group hosts the Run from the Sun 5K at its nearby recreation center. $20. 5pm to 9pm.
· Saint Arnold North Heights Pub Crawl | No Cover – Hit up Heights hot spots when Saint Arnold holds a pub crawl in the northern part of the neighborhood. Participating bars include Wicklow Heights, Cedar Creek, Bungalow Heights, Hubcap Grill, The Boot, and McIntyre’s. 5pm to 9pm.
· Sawyer Flea | FREE – Browse a selection of local vendors offering handmade goods, vintage finds, artisan foods, and one-of-a-kind products at Sawyer Yards’ curated outdoor market. 5pm to 10pm.
· Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion– Catch a heavy metal double-header when Rob Zombie and Marilyn Manson team up for the Big Rock Show tour, which will stop at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands. Tickets start at $25. 7pm.
· Uforia Music Series Presents: Latino Mix Live at Toyota Center – See a full lineup of Latino musicians, including Nicky Jam, Prince Royce, Wisin, CNCO, Reik, Manuel Turizo, and Piso 21, during Uforia Music’s Latino Mix Live at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $39.50. 7pm.
· Houston Texans vs San Francisco 49ers at NRG Stadium – Watch the Houston Texans play a preseason game on their home turf at NRG. Tickets start at $15. 7pm.
· Sugar Land Superstar Finale in Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Root for your favorite vocalist from a group of talented residents competing in the grand finale of the Sugar Land Superstar contest. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
· Houston Dynamo vs. Real Salt Lake at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play Real Salt Lake in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $29. 8pm.
· Noche Interesante at Silver Street Studios | No Cover – Join the Dos Equis team at a Noche Interesante, aka “interesting night,” in Silver Street Studios. Aside from sipping Dos Equis signature cocktails throughout the evening, you can also enjoy a comedy stage, photo booth, barbecue from a local pitmaster, a DJ, and a battle of the mixologists. 8pm to 11pm.
· Incredible India Cultural Connections at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Delight in a multi-cultural dance performance as celebrated dancers from India, Egypt, and Spain dazzle the audience at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8:15pm.
· Red Tiger’s Evolution Album Release Concert at Fitzgerald’s – Catch a live show from Puerto Rican rock group Red Tiger when they celebrate the release of their latest album, Evolution, at Fitzgerald’s. Tickets start at $10. 8:30pm to 11pm.
Sunday, August 19, 2018
· Chimney Rock Market | No Cover – Held on the first and third Sunday of the month near Anderson Park, Chimney Rock Market showcases art, gifts, produce, artisanal food and refreshments. Noon to 4pm.
· Macaron Magic Workshop at The Happy Macaron – Prepare delicious and delicate Parisian cookies during this hands-on workshop at The Happy Macaron. Participants will head home with a box of handmade red velvet and lemon creme macarons stuffed with decadent fillings. $50. 1pm to 3:30pm.
· Hand Lettering with Watercolors Class at Honey Art Cafe – Learn the basics of hand lettering and painting watercolor flower wreaths in this DIY workshop at Honey Art Cafe. Basic supplies are provided, but participants should bring a one-to-five-word quote or phrase for the focus of their painting. $35. 3pm to 4pm.
· Sunday Funday at Capitol Bar – Make the most of your Sunday at Capitol Bar’s weekly Sunday Funday party. You’ll find pop-up kitchens and food trucks, local and special guest DJs, drink specials, hookah, and bottle service available for purchase. Cover prices vary. 5pm.
· Sunday Supper at The Grove – Feast on farm-to-table vegetables, local seafood, and house-butchered meats, all served family-style at The Grove’s new monthly dinner experience, Sunday Supper. Wine pairings are available for an additional fee. $50. 5:30pm to 8:30pm.
· Kizomba Practica at Avant Garden – Discover the traditional Angolan dance and musical genre of Kizomba during a class and mixer held at Avant Garden. Tickets start at $5. 6pm to 10pm.
· Lupe Fiasco in Concert at House of Blues – Jam out to a live show by rapper, producer, and entrepreneur Lupe Fiasco when he takes the stage a House of Blues. Tickets start at $32.50. 7pm.