Find the perfect things to do in Houston this weekend with our Houston Weekend Guide for Frisday, August 24 to Sunday, August 26, 2018.
Pop on your wizard’s hat for Harry Potter trivia, rock out to Evanescence and Lindsey Stirling, slurp a boozy snow cone while creating a luxurious bath soak, sing along to “Tiny Dancer” and more of Sir Elton’s hits, dine and delight in an artistic feast, root for your pick in the Roller Derby Championship, peep fancy rides at a car show, and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, August 24 to Sunday, August 26, 2018.
Things to Do All Weekend
· Find Your Beach on Galveston Island | Daily – The water has been amazing in Galveston this summer. Whether you’re looking to join in a game of beach volleyball and toss back some cold ones at alcohol-friendly East Beach, or you’re looking to bond with your family under the sun in a beach challenge at life guard-supervised Stewart Beach, Galveston’s got the beach for you.
· Houston Restaurant Weeks 2018 | Daily – Dine out for a great cause when nearly 250 of Houston’s hottest eateries offer a multi-course brunch, lunch, and/or dinner at an often-discounted price during Houston Restaurants Weeks 2018. Now in its 15th year, HRW is the largest annual fundraiser that benefits the Houston Food Bank. Prices, times, and locations vary.
· Deli Month at Kenny & Ziggy’s New York Delicatessen Restaurant | Daily – Chow down on a three-course menu of items like stuffed kishka, matzo ball soup, and Hungarian goulash when both locations of Kenny & Ziggy’s participate in the nationwide fundraiser, Deli Month. Proceeds benefit the Holocaust Museum Houston. $37.
· Ring of Fire at Stages Repertory Theatre | Daily – Walk the line to Stages Repertory Theatre for Ring of Fire, a biographical performance about Johnny Cash featuring all of his top hits. $25. Showtimes vary.
· The Mousetrap at the Alley Theatre | Daily – Take a seat for one of the longest-running shows in the world, Agatha Christie’s thrilling mystery, The Mousetrap. In the beloved British play, a group of visitors takes shelter from a snowstorm in a boarding house, only to find that one of their new companions is a murderer. Tickets start at $26. Showtimes vary.
· Feeling Groovy 4 at Music Box Theater | Friday and Saturday – Groove on down to your favorite tunes from the ‘60s and ‘70s when Music Box Theater presents Feeling Groovy 4, an all-new musical featuring songs by Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Glen Campbell, Diana Ross, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, and Barbra Streisand.Tickets start at $29. 7:30pm daily.
· Love & Makes Candle-Making Workshop in Rice Village | Saturday and Sunday – Design and create a personalized wax candle with help from the team at Love & Makes in Rice Village. The BYOB workshop also features handmade goods from local artisans to shop while your candles set. Times vary daily.
Friday, August 24, 2018
· Sawyer Yards Summer Series: August 2018 | No Cover – Enjoy live music, light bites, summer cocktails, and great people-watching at an evening pop-up art market at Sawyer Yards and in its neighboring studios. 6pm to 10pm.
· Singo Bingo at Little Woodrow’s on Shepherd | No Cover – Show off your skills at Singo Bingo, a combination of classic bingo and a name-that-song contest, at Little Woodrow’s on Shepherd. 7pm to 9pm.
· Bourbon Benefit Dinner at Truluck’s Houston – Help preserve Balmorhea State Park and its spring-fed pool by eating a four-course meal paired with Garrison Brothers’ small-batch bourbon at Truluck’s Houston. $200. 7pm to 10pm.
· Bath Soaks & Boozy Snowcones Craft Workshop at Art Cellar Houston – Start class with a refreshing, boozy snow cone, then put on your DIY cap to create a luxurious bath soak using epsom salt, oatmeal, charcoal, clay, and essential oils to benefit all skin types. $35. 7pm to 9pm.
· Charlie Puth in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Jam out to hits like “We Don’t Talk Anymore” and “Attention” when pop star Charlie Puth teams up with Hailee Steinfeld for an epic show at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
· Rudz 40th Anniversary Concert at Rudyard’s British Pub | No Cover – Cheers to 40 years of Rudyard’s, the iconic British pub in Montrose, as they celebrate their anniversary with live music from local acts Vodi, The Wheel Workers, and Jealous Creatures. 8pm.
· Gary Allan and Aaron Watson in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Slip on your boots and pop on your cowboy hat for a lively show by country singers Gary Allen and Aaron Watson at Smart Financial Centre. Tickets start at $39.50. 8pm.
· Remember When Rock Was Young: Elton John Tribute at Miller Outdoor Theatre| FREE – Hear the chart-topping music of Sir Elton John when tribute bands Almost Elton John and The Rocket Band perform a free show at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8pm.
· Field of Dreams Movie Screening at Market Square Park | FREE – Snap a photo with the Astros’ Shooting Stars and the World Series Trophy before settling down for a free screening of the 1989 baseball flick, Field of Dreams, at Market Square Park. 8:30pm.
· The Vibe Fridays: ‘90s Throwback Edition at Henke & Pillot | No Cover – Henke & Pillot across from Market Square Park in Downtown hosts a weekly ‘90s throwback edition of Effen Friday. KidVicious will be spinning tracks from the ‘90s, one of the best eras of all time, and ‘90s-inspired go-go dancers will help keep the beat moving. 9pm.
Saturday, August 25, 2018
· Sewing I: Basics Workshop at TX/RX Labs – Discover the ins and outs of a sewing machine at this introductory workshop at TX/RX Labs. $55. 9am to noon.
· Flea at Silver Street: End of Summer – Feast your eyes on a bevy of completely unique, locally-sourced goods at Flea at Silver Street: End of Summer market. Expect to find a wide range of one-of-a-kind collectibles, fashion, jewelry, vintage, art, mid-century modern furniture, food trucks, live music, and more. Tickets are $5 and children under 12 get in free. 10am to 5pm.
· 32nd Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition on Galveston Island’s East Beach – More than 60 teams will compete for the prestigious Golden Bucket Award at the 32nd edition of the AIA Sandcastle Competition. Following months of planning, teams stretch out along the beach front and meticulously sculpt their piles of sand and work non-stop for five hours. Included with beach admission. 10am to 4:30pm.
· Beer, Beats & Paint Summer Edition Pop Ups – Paint on your own wrapped can vas while sipping craft beer and listening to live music when Beats & Paint hosts a summer pop-up at Axelrad. $40. Noon to 3pm.
· 3rd Annual Bombshell Car Exhibit at Southern Star Brewing | FREE – Check out a variety of impressive cars and trucks, participate in live and silent auctions, and win raffle prizes during the third annual Bombshell Car Exhibit at Southern Star Brewing. Benefitting Camp Hope and the PTSD Foundation of America, the event will also offer live music, food, and of course, Southern Star beer. Noon to 6pm.
· 7th Annual Wine & Food Fest at Navigation Esplanade – Get a taste of Texas with local wines and eats at the annual Wine and Food Fest at Navigation Esplanade. Formerly the Pearland Annual Wine & Food Festival, it also offers live music, entertainment, arts and crafts, and shopping. Tickets start at $40. Noon to 8pm.
· Robert Plant’s Birthday Bash at The Cottonmouth Club | No Cover – The Cottonmouth Club celebrates their patron saint of rock and roll, Robert Plant, with a big birthday party. For his 70th birthday, you can expect great tunes and specialty cocktails in honor of Sir Robert Plant. 4pm.
· Houston Roller Derby 2018 Championship at Revention Music Center – Roll out to the grand finale of the 2018 roller derby season for one last bout of bruising and brawling as teams compete for the crown at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $15. 6pm.
· Riders in the Storm: Alleh Seya Hawk Solo Art Show at Rockstar Gallery | FREE – Rockstar Gallery hosts a solo art show featuring the work of artist Alleh Seya Hawk, inspired by the legendary Riders in the Storm. There will be complimentary light bites and Saint Arnold beer. All Houstonians are invited to come out and support local art. 6pm to 9pm.
· Rice Owls vs. Prairie View A&M at Rice Stadium – Cheer for the Rice University football team as they take on Prairie View A&M at home. Tickets start at $20. 6pm.
· Apollo 13 Movie Screening at Eureka Heights | No Cover – Lift off and head over to Eureka Heights when they partner with CineBrew to present a free screening of Ron Howard’s 1995 drama, Apollo 13. Prior to the movie, you can watch a locally-produced short film. 6pm.
· Pusha T in Concert at House of Blues – See a live show from award-winning rapper and record executive Pusha T when he stops in Houston’s House of Blues on The Daytona Tour 2018. Tickets start at $40. 7pm.
· Lindsey Stirling and Evanescence in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion– Experience an evening of powerful melodies when Grammy winners Evanescence join electric violinist Lindsey Stirling for an epic concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Both acts will be backed by a full orchestra for added intensity. Tickets start at $25. 7pm.
· Greater Houston Partnership 2018 Soirée at Hotel ZaZa – Celebrate the nexus of arts, culture, and commerce that is Houston during The Greater Houston Partnership 2018 Soirée at Hotel ZaZa. This year’s gala will be Alice in Wonderland-themed with whimsical costumes and decor. Tickets start at $275. 7pm to 11:55pm.
· Houston Dash vs. Sky Blue FC at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dash as they play the Sky Blue FC in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $19. 7:30pm.
· Paul House Album Release Party & Show at Heights Theater – Catch a concert from local singer-songwriter Paul House as he celebrates the release of his fifth album, The Heights Sessions, with a party and a show at the historic Heights Theater. All proceeds will benefit MD Anderson Cancer Center in memory of his mother. $50. 8pm to 10pm.
· Shinyribs in Concert at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Crackup and get down to a half-party-half-concert by country-soul, swamp-funk singer Shinyribs at Miller Outdoor Theatre. 8:15pm.
Sunday, August 26, 2018
· Stay & Play Sundays on Galveston Island | FREE – Extend your stay, or make a Sunday day trip to enjoy free interactive Bucket Brigade Tours at Stewart Beach (five 45-minute tours offered from (9:30am to 3:30pm) and/or the free Stay & Play Sundays Fireworks Show at 9pm.
· Karbach Art Market at Karbach Brewing Co. – Shop local artwork, crafts, and vintage goods in the biergarten at Karbach Brewing Co. Shoppers can enjoy live music, local eats, and craft beer at the pet-friendly market. Noon to 7pm.
· Theater District Open House in Downtown | FREE – Get a behind-the-scenes look at Houston’s Theater District at the 25th Annual TransCanada Theater District Open House. You’ll get a sneak peek at next season’s shows, with concerts, performance previews, interactive activities, and special ticket offers at this family-friendly event. Noon to 5pm.
· Yoga & Mimosas at Revolver Houston – Stretch it out in a yoga class, then reward your efforts with a refreshing mimosa when Revolver Houston joins Republic Yoga Houston to present Yoga & Mimosas. 12:30pm to 2pm.
· All in For a Cure Poker Tournament at Saint Arnold Brewing Company – Bring your poker face and ante up at the All in For a Cure Poker Tournament at Saint Arnold, benefitting the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation – South Texas Chapter. The lucky winner will receive a trip to the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas valued at $10,000. Tickets start at $500. 2pm to 6pm.
· Farewell Summer at White Oak Music Hall – Bid goodbye to the dog days of summer with a full afternoon of live music at White Oak Music Hall’s Farewell Summer fest, featuring artists like Lil TaRus, Sawdust Road, and Koby. Tickets start at $12. 4pm.
· Paella Sundays at Ibiza | No Cover – Stuff your face with delicious paella and sip sangria every Sunday evening at Ibiza in Midtown. The restaurant’s chef blends Spanish and local ingredients, then simmers saffron-infused rice with Gulf shrimp, mussels, calamari, Spanish sausage, and chicken. 5pm to 9pm.
· Buckcherry in Concert at Smart Financial Centre – Spend your Sunday night rocking out at a show by Buckcherry, P.O.D., Lit, and Alien Ant Farm on the Gen X Summer Tour at Smart Financial Centre in Sugar Land. Tickets start at $39.50. 7:30pm.
· The Greatest Love: A Tribute to Whitney Houston at Miller Outdoor Theatre | FREE – Hear singer Belinda Davids belt it out when she performs all of Whitney Houston’s greatest hits, including “Dance With Somebody,” “I Will Always Love You,” and “I Have Nothing“. 8pm.