Find the perfect things to do in Houston Christmas weekend with our super-expanded, six-day Houston Weekend Guide for Friday, December 21 to Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 2018.
Make your way through four interactive Christmas installations, lace up your skates to hit the ice at Discovery Green, treat the family to one of several holiday-themed productions and concerts, feast on an indulgent brunch buffet; kick back with discounted drinks and live jazz music and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, December 21 to Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 2018.
Things to Do All Christmas Weekend
· Last Minute Gift Ideas on the Houston Experience Marketplace | Daily – Give Houston to your loved ones this holiday with museum passes, 90-day brewery passes, Magical Lights experiences, and more. Experiences start at $12 and can be delivered directly to your giftees’ phones (or to your own.
· Spring Classes at Watercolor Art Society Registration-Houston | Daily – Enroll for daytime, evening and weekend watercolor Spring Classes at the Watercolor Art Society– Houston. Learn to paint with watercolor paints and improve your watercolor skills with classes like Beginner Landscapes and Seascapes, Chinese Animal Zodiac, Portrait Painting and Crazy Cats and Mixed Up Mutts and more. Individual class registration dates vary.
· Sportsmonkey’s Winter League Registration | Daily – Register now for the Sportsmonkey Winter League Registration and receive 10% off when you use the 365HOU promo code. Form a team with as many players as you want and join a league of basketball, bowling, kickball, indoor and sand volleyball, softball, flag football, or soccer.
· Get Anything Delivered with Favor Gift Cards | Daily – Order Favor Delivery gift cards for you or your loved ones this holiday and score two free deliveries for yourself per card.
· Alley Theatre presents A Christmas Carol: A Ghost Story of Christmas | Thursday to Sunday and Tuesday – Catch a performance of the classic, seasonal tale of Ebenezer Scrooge, who’s famously visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future in Alley Theatre’s annual production of A Christmas Carol. Tickets start at $37.
· Potted Potter: The Unauthorized Harry Potter Experience at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts | Thursday to Sunday and Tuesday – The magic of Harry Potter comes to life in this comedic performance that runs through all seven books in just 70 minutes at Downtown’s Hobby Center. Tickets start at $49.99. Showtimes vary.
· Pride and Prejudice at Studio 101 | Thursday and Friday – Watch the literary classic, Pride and Prejudice, come to life in Kate Hamill’s adaptation of the famous play that follows the love story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Tickets start at $17. Showtimes vary.
· Hansel and Gretel at the Rec Room | Thursday to Saturday – Engelbert Humperdinck provides a sweeping score for this micro-opera, which follows a young duo, Hansel and Gretel, who venture into the woods in search of food for their family. During their search, they discover an enchanted cottage made of sweets, along with its unfortunate occupant. Tickets start at $30. Showtimes vary.
· Small Paintings Show: In the Spirit of the Season at Watercolor Art Society-Houston | FREE – WAS-H opens its doors for a free exhibition showcasing artists’ seasonal works. The exhibit it open daily from Tuesday to Saturday each week through Thursday, January 3, 2019. 10am to 3pm.
· The Ultimate Christmas Show (Abridged) at Stages Repertory Theatre | Thursday to Saturday – Follow along as three quick-witted church members are forced to perform an impromptu Christmas pageant after none of their scheduled acts arrive. Tickets start at $25. 7pm daily.
· Panto Star Force at Stages Repertory Theatre | Thursday to Saturday – Crack up at this hilarious spoof of the original Star Wars trilogy, which follows Jed, a farm boy from the planet Cypress, who joins forces with a zany band of space rebels to take on the powerful Emperor Snorkelfish and Dark Tater. Tickets start at $25. 7pm daily.
· Blanco Tacos & Tequila Opening at The Galleria | Thursday to Sunday –Celebrate the opening of Blanco Tacos & Tequila by enjoying creative and vibrant tacos on handmade tortillas, alongside refreshing margaritas, house cocktails, tequila flights, and mezcal. Times vary.
· Christmas Village at Bayou Bend | Thursday to Sunday – Discover an immersive Christmas experience at the Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens. The garden turns into a winter wonderland featuring thousands of lights and activities for all ages throughout the 14-acre estate. Tickets range from $8 to $15. Times vary.
· Houston Symphony presents Handel’s Messiah at Sugar Land Baptist Church and Jones Hall | Thursday to Sunday – Hear the ever-exuberant choruses of songs like “Hallelujah” and “Worthy is the Lamb that was slain” in Handel’s Messiah, a powerful and timeless production performed by the Houston Symphony, chorus, and guest soloists at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $58. Showtimes vary.
· Love & Makes Candle-Making Workshop in Rice Village | Friday and Saturday – Design and create a personalized wax candle with help from the team at Love & Makes in Rice Village. The BYOB workshop also features handmade goods from local artisans to shop while your candles set. $45. Times vary.
· Cirque Joyeux Noel Dinner & Show at Moody Gardens | Friday and Saturday; Monday and Tuesday – Bring the family to dinner and a show as Moody Gardens Hotel & Spa hosts a holiday spectacular, which features a stellar cast of international cirque and variety performers from around the world. Tickets start at $53. 6:30pm daily.
· The Nutcracker at the Wortham Theater Center | Friday to Sunday – The Sugar Plum Fairy, Clara, and all of her magical toys return for the beloved Christmas classic, The Nutcracker, presented by the Houston Ballet at the Wortham Theater Center. Tickets start at $30. Showtimes vary.
· Death by Natural Causes at Houston Museum of Natural Science | Friday to Sunday – Discover a range of deadly “animal, vegetable, and mineral” specimens from the natural world at this educational exhibit in the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Full price tickets are $30 for ages 12 and up; $20 for ages 3 to 11; $20 for ages 62 and up. 9am to 5pm daily.
· Winter Wonderland Pop-up Experience | Saturday and Sunday – Browse an interactive Christmas experience featuring four themed installation rooms at the Winter Wonderland Pop-up. You can sit on Santa’s sleigh at the North Pole, watch clips of your favorite Christmas movies on the big screen, have a snowball fight with your pals, and more. Tickets start at $20.88. 9am to 8pm both days.
Friday, December 21, 2018
· Saint Arnold Naughty List Tap Takeover at Conservatory | No Cover – Local favorite Saint Arnold will take over all 32 taps at downtown’s Conservatory, featuring a range of creative brews (think Nitro Raspberry AF aged in Whistlepig whiskey barrels with vanilla beans) in the third annual Naughty List Tap Takeover. 11am to midnight.
· Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s The Ghosts of Christmas Eve at Toyota Center – Take a seat a powerful performance by the renowned Trans-Siberian Orchestra as they play their Ghosts of Christmas Eve concert at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $48.50. 3:30pm and 8pm.
· Christmas Carol Sing-A-Long at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Spread Christmas cheer by singing Christmas songs of new and old at Sugar Land Town Square. 6:30pm to 8:30pm.
· Funfetti Fridays on The ICE at Discovery Green – Skate around The ICE at Discovery Green while jamming out to a colorful light show with beats from DJ Mohawk Steve during Funfetti Fridays. Tickets are $11. Skate rentals cost $4. 7pm to 9pm.
· Robert Earl Keen in Concert at House of Blues – Catch a country music concert by Robert Earl Keen, a native Houstonian known for his long-standing career in bluegrass and his magnetic stage presence, when he takes the mic at House of Blues. Tickets start at $47.50. 8pm.
Saturday, December 22, 2018
· Midtown in Motion at Bagby Park | FREE – Get moving as instructor Roz Jones leads you through a High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) class, followed by a Yoga Flow class at Bagby Park. All fitness levels welcome. 9:30am.
· Farmers Market at Elizabeth Baldwin Park | No Cover – Shop fresh produce from local farms and prepared foods from a range of vendors at this weekly farmer’s market in Midtown’s Elizabeth Baldwin Park.10am to 2pm.
· Frozen Over at Children’s Museum of Houston – Join, Elsa, Anna, Olaf and Kristoff for a sing-along show inspired by Disney’s Frozen at the Children’s Museum of Houston. You can watch the movie throughout the day, play in real snow, and craft your own LED snowflake ornaments. $12. Sing-along show is from noon to 2pm.All other activities are available from 10am to 6pm.
· Young Writers Workshop at Discovery Green | FREE – Bring your little aspiring writers to this free workshop, where they will learn the basics of storytelling and language skills. Led by the Houston Public Library, the weekly workshop takes place at Discovery Green. 10:30am to 11:30am.
· Love & Make’s Bath Bomb Making Workshop in Rice Village – Create your own luxurious, scented bath bomb at this DIY workshop, hosted by Love & Make in Rice Village. The family-friendly activity allows crafters to incorporate essential oils and experiment with fun colors. $45. 11am.
· HMNS at Levy Park | FREE – Explore the science of sound with interactive demonstrations that delve into vibration, frequency and more as the Houston Museum of Natural Science presents its monthly educational exhibit at Levy Park. 2pm to 4pm.
· Skate with Santa at Discovery Green – Lace up your skates and prepare your Christmas wish list to skate alongside Old Saint Nick on The ICE at Discovery Green. Tickets are $11. Skate rentals cost $4. 5pm to 6pm.
· Flashlight Candy Cane Hunt at Rob Fleming Park – Bring your flashlight to hunt for candy canes at Rob Fleming Park. Following the candy cane hunt, you can enjoy hot cocoa and Christmas cookies or snap photos with Santa. Tickets start at $10. 5:30pm to 6:30pm.
· Houston Rockets vs. San Antonio Spurs at Toyota Center – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Spurs at Toyota Center. Tickets start at $20. 7pm.
· Anomaly: The Magic of Robby Bennett and Other Curiosities at The Wortham Center – Marvel at magic tricks and amazing illusions in Anomaly: The Magic of Robby Bennett and Other Curiosities at The Wortham Center. With appearances on Good Morning America, Inside Edition, and SportsCenter, Robby Bennett has professionally captivated audiences since the age of thirteen and has earned many awards throughout his career. Tickets start at $20. 7:30pm.
· Playboi Carti in Concert at Revention Music Center – Jam out to a live show by Playboi Carti, formerly known as Sir Cartier, when the “Broke Boi” rapper takes the stage at Revention Music Center. Tickets start at $35. 8pm.
Sunday, December 23, 2018
· Sunday Brunch with Santa at Hotel Galvez – Bring the kids to share their Christmas list with Kris Kringle before enjoying a delicious brunch at Hotel Galvez. After eating, check out the hotel’s annual holiday gingerbread display while listening to a pianist play traditional holiday favorites in the lobby. Menu prices vary. 11am.
· A Charlie Brown Christmas Live on Stage at The Grand 1894 Opera House – Watch Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Lucy, Linus, and the rest of the Peanuts gang come to life in a delightful production of the Christmas classic at The Grand 1894 Opera House. Tickets start at $22.50. 1pm and 4pm.
· Caroling at Market Street in The Woodlands | FREE – Head to Market Street in The Woodlands to sing along to all of your favorite Christmas carols and spread holiday cheer. 3:30pm to 5pm.
· Jingle & Mingle Christmas Party at Capitol Bar in Midtown – Celebrate on the build-up to Christmas Eve at a mixer in Midtown. Patrons can grab green, red, and gold wristbands that indicate whether their relationship status is “Single”, “Taken”, or “It’s Complicated.” 5pm to 2am.
· Skating with the Stars at Discovery Green | FREE – Skate alongside skilled professionals when they take to The ICE at Discovery Green every Sunday evening throughout the winter season. 6pm to 6:45pm.
· Bruce Robison & Kelly Willis: Holiday Shindig at The Heights Theater – Husband-and-wife duo Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis bring their musical skills to the stage for a holiday shindig at The Heights Theater. Tickets start at $22. 7pm.
Christmas Eve, Monday, December 24, 2018
· Breakfast with Santa at Downtown Aquarium – Meet Santa Claus for breakfast under the sea as the Downtown Aquarium presents a Christmas Eve breakfast buffet with plenty of photo opportunities. Tickets cost $19.99; children ages 3 to 10 can get in for $13.99. 8am to 1pm.
· Christmas Eve Dinner at Backstreet Cafe – Dine in style this Christmas Eve with a sumptuous three-course meal prepared by the chefs at Backstreet Cafe. Choose from delicious dishes like braised lamb shank, charred cauliflower with shishito peppers, and a Christmas sundae with eggnog ice cream, hazelnut, orange pralines, salted caramel, and almond crunch. $54, plus beverages and gratuity. 6pm.
· Bingo in the Biergarten at Karbach Brewing Co | No Cover – Try your luck at a round of bingo while sipping craft brews on the patio at the family-friendly Karbach Brewing Co. 6pm to 8pm.
· ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas Comedy Show at The Eventure’ – Laugh with your loved ones at a holiday-themed comedy show featuring a lineup of local talent at The Eventure’ in Spring. They’ll also have drinks, live music from Sean David and Greg Paul, and food from Sonya’s Edible Empire. Tickets start at $22.50. 6pm to 10pm.
Christmas Party with Jubin Nautiyal at Ayva Center – Celebrate Christmas Eve with an Indian music concert and party, featuring the mesmerizing voice of Jubin Nautiyal, as well as food trucks offering desi delicacies at Ayva Center. Tickets start at $55. 7pm.
· Harry Sheppard at Brasil Houston | No Cover – Sip $4 frozen margaritas and relax to the soothing sounds of jazz vibraphone player Harry Shephard, who has played alongside legends such as Roy Eldridge, Charlie Shavers, and Ben Webster, when he plays a set at Brasil Houston. 7pm to 10pm.
Christmas Day, Tuesday, December 25, 2018
· Christmas Day Brunch at Hotel Galvez & Spa – Hotel Galvez hosts its annual Christmas Day Brunch, which features all of their traditional entrees, along with special additions created by the executive chef. Menu prices vary. 10am.
· Christmas Day Brunch Buffet at Radio Milano – Feast on dishes like mini crab cakes, Hong Kong fried toast, vegetarian lasagna, and panna cotta at Radio Milano’s three-course Christmas Day brunch. $45. 10am to 3pm.
· Houston Rockets vs. Oklahoma City Thunder at Toyota Center – Cheer loud for the Rockets when they hit the court to play the Thunder at Toyota Center. Tickets range from $62 to over $900. 2pm.
· Scrooged Movie Screening at Axelrad | FREE – Catch Bill Murray’s hilarious take on Ebenezer Scrooge as he stars in the 1988 seasonal comedy, Scrooged, playing Christmas night on the big screen Axelrad. They’ll have heaters, fire pits, and blankets to keep warm. 7:30pm to 11pm.
· 30 Foot Fall in Concert at Fitzgeralds – Rock out at Fitzgeralds’ final Christmas concert featuring Houston’s own 30 Foot Fall, a punk band that’s drawn crowds across Texas since 1993. Tickets start at $10. 9pm.
· Molly & The Ringwalds in Concert at The Continental Club | FREE – Keep the festivities going into the night with a free concert by Molly & The Ringwalds at The Continental Club in Midtown. 9:30pm to 11pm.
Until tomorrow, if you want to chat me up, follow me on Facebook @woodlandsgoldwiser , on Twitter @IamGinaOlson or on Instagram @HoustonGoldwiser or visit me in person at 24910 Kuykendahl Rd., Tomball, TX 77375.