Find the perfect things to do in Houston this weekend with our Houston Weekend Guide for Friday, June 29 to Sunday, July 1, 2018.
Center your body and mind in a free outdoor yoga class, explore Houston’s culture and make new friends on a unique pub crawl, cheer on the city’s top air guitarists, game it up in a Mario Kart tournament, see ’70s legends Chicago in concert, and more.
Check below to find great things happening around Houston this weekend, from Friday, June 29 to Sunday, July 1, 2018.
Things to Do All Weekend
· Swan Lake at Jones Hall for the Performing Arts | Daily – Take a seat for the Houston Ballet’s rendition of a timeless love story as they perform Swan Lake at Jones Hall. Tickets start at $25. Saturday 7:30pm; Sunday 2pm.
· The Champions of Magic at Hobby Center | Daily – Witness the impossible when five world-class illusionists perform disappearances, levitation, teleportation and a heart-stopping finale in their 2018 national tour at the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts. Tickets start at $24. Times vary.
· Texas Music Festival at the UH Moores Opera House | Daily – See classical musicians from across the globe perform a series of concerts in the 29th annual Texas Music Festival. Held at the UH Moores Opera House, the festival will showcase everything from contemporary works to beloved classics. $25. Times vary.
· Museum of Dysfunction at Chelsea Market | Thursday to Saturday – Enjoy 20 unique theatrical works from women writers across the country at this annual festival. Presented by Mildred’s Umbrella, the Museum of Dysfunction reflects the company’s desire to promote the work of women in the performing arts. 8pm nightly.
· Caught at Redbud Gallery | Thursday to Saturday – Explore the concepts of truth and cultural appropriation as Landing Theatre Company presents Caught, a compelling story of art and social justice, at Redbud Gallery. Tickets start at $25. 8pm nightly.
· The Houston Symphony in Summer Symphony Nights at Miller Outdoor Theatre| FREE | Friday and Saturday – Catch a free, family-friendly concert by the Houston Symphony as Miller kicks off its Summer Symphony Nights series. Each show features a variety of up-and-coming artists. 8:30pm nightly.
· ComedySportz Match Improv Show at CSz Arena | Friday and Saturday – Crack up as you participate in this interactive improv show from ComedySportz. $20. 8pm nightly.
Friday, June 29, 2018
· Yoga in the Park at Evelyn’s Park | FREE – Find your inner calm at a free outdoor yoga class led by instructors from Define Body & Mind at Evelyn’s Park in Bellaire. Please bring your own yoga mat and a water bottle. 8:30am.
· Listen Local: Music on the Plaza at The Brown Foundation Plaza | FREE – Catch a free concert as MFAH kicks off its summer music series in their new outdoor space, The Brown Foundation, Inc. Plaza. On selected Friday evenings, grab a bite from a local food truck and enjoy live music by local bands and musicians. 5pm.
· TGIF Happy Hour with DJ AD at The Flat | No Cover – Work up an appetite dancing to throwback hip-hop music from DJ AD, then take advantage of half-off pizza and drink specials during happy hour at The Flat. 6pm.
· Critical Mass Bike Ride at Market Square Park | FREE – Bike through Downtown Houston during this monthly community ride with Critical Mass. 7pm.
· Weezer in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Rock out to headliners Weezer and The Pixies when they team up for an outdoor concert at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion in The Woodlands. The Wombats open the show. Tickets start at $25. 7:30pm.
· NOLA Nights at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Get your fill of authentic Nawlins music and cuisine when Sugar Land Town Square hosts NOLA Nights, featuring live music by The New Orleans Hustlers Brass Band with small plates and beer from Rouxpour on the plaza. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
· Moana Movie Screening at Levy Park | FREE – Pack a few lawn chairs and relax at Levy Park for a free, family-friendly movie screening of Disney’s animated film, Moana.8pm.
· Sugar Town At Secret Group | No Cover – Laugh and gawk at this absurdist variety show featuring curated audio clips, video snippets, and special guest performances at The Secret Group. 8pm.
· Houston Dynamo vs. Monterrey at BBVA Compass Stadium – Cheer on the Dynamo as they play the Monterrey in a home game at BBVA Compass Stadium. Tickets start at $24. 8pm.
Saturday, June 30, 2018
· 2-Year Anniversary Party at Misfit Toys| FREE – Celebrate two years of vintage toys and collectibles with giveaways, discounts, food, drinks, and music at the second anniversary of Misfit Toys in the Heights. 10am.
· Young Writers Workshop at Discovery Green | FREE – Bring your little aspiring writers to this free workshop, where they will learn the basics of storytelling and language skills. Led by the Houston Public Library, the weekly workshop takes place at Discovery Green. 10:30am to 11:30am.
· Pinkalicious The Musical at Main Street Theater – Teach your kids the importance of being themselves at a live performance of Pinkalicious, a delightful musical based on the popular book by Elizabeth and Victoria Kann. Tickets start at $20. 11am.
· Wonderland Family Playhouse in Downtown – Treat the kids to a fun-filled day of activities at Conservatory, along with a production of Alice! at Prohibition Theatre. $20. 11am.
· Beauty Made Fresh D-I-Y Product Making Class with Lydia Evans at Center Stage Gallery – Create and customize your own beauty products while sipping wine at this workshop led by Lydia Evans of SW&G Essentials and seen on Shark Tank. Registration includes an apron, ingredients, utensils, containers, labels, refreshments, and instruction. $45. 1pm and 4pm.
· Cultural Crawl Houston in Montrose – Eat, drink, and explore Houston’s culture during this bar crawl founded by three black creatives from Washington D.C., whose aim was to create a safe and inclusive space where individuals and groups can discover their city. Tickets start at $15. 2pm.
· 2018 Rock N Roll Extravaganza at Lucky’s Pub – Rock out to live music from three cover bands before watching the 11th annual US Air Guitar Houston Championship Qualifier at Lucky’s Pub. $15. 3pm.
· Artísticas Fest: Veranó Edition at Wonky Power Live | No Cover – Watch local Latinas show off their talents, ranging from poetry and dance to painting and fashion design, during the summer edition of Artísticas Fest at Wonky Power Live. 5pm.
· In Conversation: Dario Robleto with Wild Moccasins at Inman Gallery | FREE – Get the inside scoop on Houston indie-pop outfit Wild Moccasins’ forthcoming album, Look Together, when band members Zahira Gutierrez and Cody Swann join artist Dario Robleto at Inman Gallery to discuss their collaboration on the album’s artwork. 5pm to 7pm.
· DogPop Summer Jam at Yuppie Dog – Leash your pups and head to Yuppie dog for the DogPop Summer Fest, which celebrates man’s best friend with food from local trucks, music from DJs, and beer and wine. $5. 5pm to 9pm.
· Houston Moscato Fest in Jones Plaza – Sip sweet and sparkling wines all evening long at the Houston Moscato Fest in Jones Plaza. Featuring more than 20 types of Moscato, the fest will also offer live music, tasty bites, and fun activities. Tickets start at $30. 5pm to 10pm.
· Chicago in Concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Jam out to blasting trumpets, glorious guitars and all or your favorite music by Chicago and REO Speedwagon during their live concert at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $29.50. 7:30pm.
· Rock the Block with Sessions Music at Sugar Land Town Square | FREE – Listen to live music with the whole family with Rock the Block featuring instructors and students from Sessions Music at Sugar Land Town Square. 7:30pm to 9:30pm.
· Dirty Projectors in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Hear inventive harmonies and arrangements from the Dirty Projectors when they perform in the downstairs room at White Oak Music Hall in support of their July release, Lamp Lit Prose. Tickets start at $25. 8pm.
· Robert Earl Keen in Concert at The Redneck Country Club – Catch a show from Houston native Robert Earl Keen, known for his acclaimed career in country music, at The Redneck Country Club in Stafford. Tickets start at $55. 8pm.
· Holmes and Watson at the Alley Theatre – Crack codes and solve mysteries during this Sherlock Holmes adventure presented by the Alley Theatre. The performance follows Holmes’ trusty sidekick, Watson, as he seeks the true story of Holmes’ death three years prior. Tickets start at $26. 8pm.
· Soul Session Saturdays at MKT Bar | No Cover – Join DJ Tempty as he spins nothing but ’60s and ’70s soul, Motown, funk, and disco, every Saturday evening at MKT Bar in Downtown. 8pm.
Sunday, July 1, 2018
· Bayou Bikers Ride at Market Square Park | FREE – Join Bayou Bikers for a 25 to 40-mile ride along the bayous. Meet at Market Square Park. 8am.
· Chimney Rock Market in West Houston | No Cover – Held on the first and third Sunday of the month near Anderson Park, Chimney Rock Market showcases art, gifts, produce, artisanal food, and refreshments. Noon to 4pm.
· Outlaw Music Festival at Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion – Texas legend Willie Nelson joins fellow musicians Sturgill Simpson, The Head and the Heart, Ryan Bingham and more at Outlaw Music Festival in Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion. Tickets start at $35. 2:30pm.
· Mario Kart 64 League at Craft Beer Cellar Houston – Get your game on every other Sunday at Craft Beer Cellar Houston, who hosts a Mario Kart 64 league with Eureka Heights Brewery. Make a team and play the classic game for different prizes. $3. 4pm.
· Slightly Stoopid in Concert at White Oak Music Hall – Kick back on the lawn at White Oak Music Hall for a performance from Slightly Stoopid, joined by Stick Figure and Pepper, for the School’s Out For Summer 2018 Tour. Tickets start at $25. 5:30pm.
· Tropical Sundays & Will Van Horn Trio in Concert at Axelrad | No Cover – Hang out in a hammock while listening to the sounds of Tropicalia, Hawaiian inspired, and upbeat tunes by Houston’s Will Van Horn Trio at Axelrad. 7pm.
· Sunday Movie Nights: Justice League Movie Screening at Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier – Relax Sunday evening with a free, outdoor movie screening of the 2017 superhero film, Justice League, at Pleasure Pier on Galveston Island. 8pm.